Healthy Chicken Ropa Vieja
This very low carb chicken dish adds nice flavor to your Ketogenic dinners. Cook them using a crockpot, just come home to the wonderful smell. Serves 4. Net Carb 2 g.
Cook Time 4 hours
Total Time 4 hours
- FOR SLOW COOKER:
- 22.5 oz. of skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 large tomato, quartered
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 large bay leaves
- Some kosher salt
- TO FINISH:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion, sliced long
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup of dry white wine (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, and more to taste
- Adequate amount of black pepper to taste
- Add the chicken, tomato, one onion, two garlic cloves, and carrot into the slow cooker. Then add in enough water to cover and add in salt and bay leaves. Place over medium heat and cook for about four hours until the chicken becomes tender. When cooked, remove the chicken from the broth and shred using forks. Set aside the broth.
- Add in some olive oil into a skillet and place over medium heat. Add in the rest of the garlic, green peppers, onions, and red peppers. Cook until they become soft, for four minutes. Add in the boiled chicken, white wine, tomato sauce, and about ¾ cup of the broth you set aside earlier.
- Add in the garlic powder, cumin, pepper, and salt as seasoning, then cover and let it simmer for about ten minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and broth as desired. Serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 145Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 68mgSodium 138mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 25g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.