Kielbasa is a sausage, and meats are necessary to be successful on a keto diet as well as maintain it. So yes, kielbasa is keto-friendly, with most containing only 1.4g total carbs.
Kielbasa is a delicious meat choice for anyone following the keto diet. There are tons of great recipes and meals out there that utilize these links. However, there are some kielbasa options out there that should be avoided due to added sugars and preservatives.
Is Kielbasa Keto-Friendly?
Kielbasa is a sausage, and sausage is on the list of keto-approved foods, thus making kielbasa keto-friendly, right? Well, the answer is a little tricky because of the additives used in some brands to make kielbasa taste sweeter.
Authentic or original kielbasa contains around 1.4g of carbs in every 2oz. With these low-carb counts, this sausage is a great option for keto followers.
Sticking with traditional kielbasa options, you can enjoy this meat in decent portion sizes without having to worry about going over your allotted carbohydrate intake.
Kielbasas to Avoid on Keto
As mentioned, a few brands out there have placed their own spin on kielbasa, adding sugars and other ingredients to sweeten the taste. But this also dramatically increases the carbs it contains.
Some kielbasas to pass by when grocery shopping include:
- Hillshire Farms Polish Smoked Kielbasa (4g of carbs per serving)
- BAR-S: Smoked Polish Sausage Links (7g of carbs per serving)
- Smithfields: Smoked Kielbasa (5g of carbs per serving)
- Hillshire Farm: Pork Polish Kielbasa (3g of carbs per serving)
- Simple Truth: Plant-Based Meatless Kielbasa Sausage (7g of carbs per serving)
- Aaron’s Best Beef Polish Kielbasa (4g of carbs per serving)
- Kroger Polska Kielbasa Sausage (4g of carbs per serving)
- Farmer John’s Polska Kielbasa (5g of carbs per serving)
- ECKRICH: Polska Kielbasa Smoked Sausage (5g of carbs per serving)
The Best Kielbasa for Keto
The best way to find great kielbasa while following a keto diet is to steer clear of packaged and processed foods. Stick to meat markets and the butcher’s area of the grocery store to get genuine healthy kielbasa for your keto-friendly meals.
Best Recipes for Keto Kielbasa
Now that you know kielbasa passes the keto test, here are a few great recipes to try.
1. Keto Cheesy Cabbage Sausage Skillet (9g of carbs per serving/serves 6)
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- ½ diced white onion
- 3 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 c. of diced tomatoes
- ½ cored and chopped small head cabbage
- 1 13-oz package Kiolbassa Smoked Sausage
Start by preheating your oven to 400°F. While the oven is heating up, warm up the butter on medium to high heat in a large cast iron pan. Next, add the sausage and cook both sides for 2-3 minutes until they are brown. Add the garlic, onions, cabbage, and pepper and cook for 10 minutes, stirring on occasion.
Next, add in the tomatoes and sprinkle on the cheese, then pop it in the oven until the cheese starts to bubble and becomes brown.
Check out castironketo.net for this recipe and more.
2. Keto Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies (7g of net carbs per serving/serves 9)
- 1 small zucchini (chopped into bite-size pieces)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 14 oz smoked sausage
- ½ onion
- 1 tbsp seasoning
- ½ red pepper
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 small squash (chopped into bite-size pieces)
Start by preheating your oven to 400°F, then place all of your ingredients in a large bowl, drizzling the olive oil and sprinkling the seasonings over them, mixing vigorously.
Pour the ingredients into a pan and pop it in the oven for 8 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
Check out this recipe and more at Kaseytrenum.com.
Kielbasa is an excellent and versatile food to have on hand when cooking keto. You can prepare this sausage with many different ingredients to make the best breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. Try one of the recipes above, or get creative and come up with your own.